Posted to 8 Wing Trenton and need to find the perfect home
Moving from one house to another is already a difficult chore, but relocating to a completely new area on top of that can be a particularly stressful event for the entire family. Once your posting is confirmed, start working on your moving plans, even if the move is months away. Reduce your future stress of adjusting to your new surroundings by doing some home work and organizing as much as possible in advance.
If you have a family, it’s important to discuss the upcoming move with your kids, fears they may have about moving and, most importantly, why this new beginning will be an exciting new beginning. Keep in mind that every family member will have a different reaction to moving.
Here are some tips for your house hunting trip;
- Contact BGRS relocations, register and familiarize yourself with their website and the services they provide to Canadian Forces members.
- Remember your BGRS registration number, all your third party service providers will require it.
- BGRS has been changing their client services, so be sure to have them answer all your questions sooner rather than later.
- Bring your cheque book. You will need to put a deposit on your new home. You may also need to pay for a water test and a home inspection.
- Bring your slip on shoes.
- A camera is handy for your own personal pictures of schools, community, parks, interior of homes (with permission), to share with family and friends and for your own reference later.
- Get in contact with a local mortgage specialist or broker before arrival. Bring all documents that your lender may require. Speak with your lender before coming to see what is needed.
- Bring every family member’s health information and check with the local health unit to see if additional immunizations are required.
- Bring your identification for your lawyer and real estate transaction. Two pieces are usually required, one with picture, i.e. driver’s license, passport, birth certificate, SIN, etc.
- Book a tentative home inspection and confirm there is no penalty to cancel or reschedule times.
- If bringing the family, don’t forget to pack for the hotel stay. Ear plugs, bathing suits for kids, iPad, etc. Anything to help you relax at the end of each day, and actually enjoy what, we hope, will be a mini holiday!