So you’ve done it! You’ve sold your house and bought a new home. The stressful negotiating has finally ended. Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean your work is over. There is still a lot more to be done before you finally get those keys and begin to settle into your new house.
The O’Quinn team is there for you every step of the way. To help make your move as stress-free as possible, we’ve put together this list of handy tips to help…
Book the movers
You can choose to have your movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It’s a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies so you can decide which route forward you’d like to take.
At your present home
Arrange to have tour gas and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bill forwarded to your new address.
Have the oil tank read and filled before your sale closes, and provide a receipt to your legal professional if required.
If your water heater and/or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
Disconnect you telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
At your new home
Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes (or possessions date).
General things to keep in mind
- Get “Change of Address” cards from the post office and send them out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pickup, newspapers, magazines, and other home services. Arrange for services at your new address.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations, and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescriptions, and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver’s license(s) effective the day of your move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair, or storage, e.g. dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Safely dispose of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.